Last Sunday, we were challenged by Pastor Harvey Carey to get out of the huddle and into the game. If you missed this stirring video cast sermon, you can follow the links from the Ward website to view it. Pastor Carey shared how his under-resourced congregation in Detroit is having a big impact on their neighborhood and challenged us to meet needs in our own community.
Many of you have said that Harvey’s message was a call to action. One lady told me that Harvey’s sermon was “an appropriate kick in the pants.” I plan to follow-up this Sunday by offering some post-kick action options. For now, I want to introduce you to some immediate opportunities, needs, and possible next steps.
MINISTRY IN HARVEY CAREY’S COMMUNITY
As I mentioned Sunday, Ward Church is in partnership with Harvey Carey’s church, Citadel of Faith, to serve their neighborhood through the Central Detroit Christian Community Development Corporation. We have been buying and renovating homes in this neighborhood and have recently started a teen mentoring program. We are also in need of volunteer mechanics, office workers, and produce market helpers. You can contact CDC director Lisa Johanon directly by email, email@example.com, or phone, 313-873-0064
CLOSER TO HOME
While I am sure Harvey Carey would welcome your partnership in ministering to central Detroit, Harvey did not say Sunday, “Come serve my neighborhood.” He said, “Find the needs in your own neighborhood to meet.” Consider volunteering in an area school or at Northville Civic Concern (248-344-1033). Paul Clough, our Community Outreach Pastor, can match you with a volunteer serving opportunity inside or outside the church. As we get ready to welcome fall visitors, our most pressing volunteer needs are:
- Guest Services: Each Sunday, 40 to 60 volunteers provide a warm hospitable welcome as greeters, ushers, information booth hosts, coffee preparers, or welcome center receptionists. Most volunteers serve once every six weeks for an entire Sunday morning.
- Children’s Ministry: Each Sunday, more than 200 volunteers minister to more than 600 children in our Children’s Ministry. We are currently looking for teachers, helpers, small group leaders, and creative arts for Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights.
- Small Group Leaders: Small groups are an excellent way to connect, grow, and care for people. Our Small Groups Leadership Team will teach you everything you need to know. No experience necessary. We are looking for leaders and assistant leaders who can commit to lead an eight-week small group with an option to renew.
- Tech Team Members: Do you like gadgets? We are in need of additional operators for cameras, lights, sound boards, and video. Some positions require previous experience. Most do not.
If you would like to know more about any of the opportunities above, let me know so that I may send you more information. Many of these volunteer opportunities are open to teenagers and to families desiring to serve together.
If none of the opportunities above grab you, please know that we have hundreds of opportunities to serve inside the church and hundreds more to serve outside the church. Our Community Outreach Department can help you find an opportunity that matches your interest, gifts, and availability. You may also contact our partner ministries directly. I have listed five of them below.
- City Mission, 20405 Schoolcraft, Detroit 48223, 313-541-3531
Contact Jeff Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
Tutoring, mentoring, special talents in music, art, foreign language
- Help’s -on-the-Way, 5358 S. Beech Daly Rd, Dearborn Hts, 313-908-7104
Contact: Jack Schmidt, email@example.com,
Tuesday’s: clothing sorting and arranging, food stacking
Thursday’s: food distribution, interviewers
- Hope Clinic, 35080 Chestnut, Wayne,48184, 734-710-6688
Contact: Mary Dekker firstname.lastname@example.org
Physicians, nurses, receptionists, handymen, data entry
- Northville Civic Concerns, 42951 Seven mile Rd, Northville 248-344-1033
Food donations: canned goods, dry cereals
- Open Door Rescue Mission, 3443 McDougall, Detroit, 48207 313-579-1825
Contact Pastor Jerome Farris at email@example.com
Food servers, maintenance, cleaning
Thanks for your responsiveness. I look forward to seeing you Sunday.